I have very much been enjoying everyone’s views of the CWB and thought I would share some of mine? The background has been giving me grief since there is no sashing and I knew I could never match the stripes and it would most likely bother me for ever. I thought of turning the fabric and that probably would have worked but I chose a darker fabric and now am second
Guessing myself on ” is it too dark?” I will just keep pluging along.
And I’m still playing catch up with my fearless leader!
When I started Bird of Paradise I bought so many repro fabrics but the further along I sew the farther away from that look I’m getting. Oh well, one must travel along the path the muse guides one.
Finally! – I’m pretty happy with this block- I love the pears. Had some challenges with needle turning the little branches on top of each one. I’m still having trouble with the green tops on the strawberries. I know there is one block with just lots and lots of strawberries, ouch! I guess I will have to get better at it-
Well, got to do a little sewing last night. Worked mainly on the stems and leaves. I also ripped out one of the grapes since there was a bump from too much fabric bunched up . Hopefully, I will finish all the grapes and some of the cherries tonight. I’m waiting for some of our other ladies to send me some pictures so I can post them (hint). After talking to Kathy at the Quilt Basket this Saturday, I went back and washed some of my batiks in Retayne. Good idea after discovering many of the batiks will RUN!! Some companies actually say to never wash your batiks – Yikes!!!
I have started my grapes -I use “Perfect Circles” now- In the past I used old playing cards- they were strong enough to make a nice circle- I have never tried a circle using needleturn, and probably never will! – My skills are not up to that level. Many years ago I took a workshop with Pat Cambell who does all her applique using needleturn – It is amazing how perfect her circles are. (I just read that Pat recently passed away- how sad to have lost another)
Just cut out the stems on to the branch on the left side. Cut a strip about a little less than 5/8″, folded it in thirds and basted it. I’ve decided on purple berries on both branches- one a dark purple batik, the other light.
We are starting to think about which block next.Hmmm… It’s up to Marie to choose. I’m enjoying making this quilt so much- mostly due to the camaraderie!
Just beginning this one- I love appliquéing fruit, so I choose this block for our next one to sew. Marie is starting on block 2 and is quickly catching up. Met many quilters this weekend from the Wiltwyck Guild who want to make this quilt. It will be exciting to have other quilters sending in their images.
Here’s a close -up of the stem and leaf. I put thick paper under the leaf so I get a a perfect shape. Then I have to needleturn the stems, which I am not so good at. Had to take one of the stems out two times!